Thursday, October 9, 2008

Oceana Riesling 2007

Last night I decided to try something new. I paired a bottle of wine with spicy Chinese food. Your first thought might be tea or Tsing Tao (beer). I was thinking a gewurztraminer because of the spicy peach and ginger flavors. However, the 2007 Oceana Riesling from the Oceana Estates Winery in Monterey County was suggested by my local wine store. It also had some peach aroma but it was being overpowered by a fig newton cookie smell. The wine was quite dry and sweet with the peach and citrus flavors. Interesting blue bottle with a mermaid logo but it will not entice me to buy another bottle, especially at $20. I think the Gewurz would have been a better selection, or a French Riesling or an Alsace. Don't be afraid to try wine with spicy ethnic foods.

No comments: